Monday, September 5, 2011

Welcome

So this is a blog about my time as a Zoo volunteer. On August 27th and 28th I attended Zoo U for the Denver Zoo. This was a two day training class for my new volunteer position at the Denver Zoo.

During these two days of training we were given information needed for the job ahead of us but I believe that it is more so intended for us to realize the importance of our part of the success of the Zoo and the well being of the animals inside and outside of the Zoo gates. 

Just in two short days I was able to understand just how important the zoo and other zoos are to the animal world. Teaching and inspiring the public to appreciate and to care about animals that are becoming endangered not because as humans we do not care about them but because we are just not educated about how we affect their world.

We were given a book the first day of training it's a beautiful book with a lot of history about the Denver Zoo. I highly recommend picking up a copy of this book if you are interested in the Denver Zoo even just a little bit.   

Why did I decide to volunteer? Well I have to admit I was thinking what a great way to get close to the animals and see the zoo behind the scenes. Little did I know that I may never get to be closer to an animal than the average public nor will I be given a paid position at the Denver Zoo.  So why then do people keep coming back to give their time?  Because once they get there they realize what kind of impact they can make and that without touching these fantastic animals they can change the lives of them for the better with one or two short hours of their time.

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog there will be many more entries and I hope I don't bore you all to death. This is my first shot at something like this so here goes nothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment